Use Freefind to search this site (or the web)
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Judging a book by its cover


  • Judging a book by its cover.
First, I'd like to thank Mawk for altering me to what follows. Ok take a look at the following photo. This person plays the part of a physicist in a popular television series. Do you have a reaction?


I know that I do. What a joke! This model probably couldn't integrate e^x if you spotted her with a computer, right? Why can't they cast someone who at least looks like a scientist, right?

Well, to find out who this lady is, go here: http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/bios/randall.html

Yes, she is a world famous particle physicist in real life, with professorships at Harvard, numerous awards as well as some popular books. She speaks a bit about having some traditional female interests here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7374458/page/3/

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the point of this? Are we supposed to believe that women physicists look different from women non-physicists in some discernible way? Why would anyone think that? I don't get it.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Harriet said...

You might go to the second link to see what I am talking about. She admits that many women tend to balk at going into disciplines like physics as they see that most good women physicists aren't interested in "girly-girl" type stuff (such as make up and pretty clothes).

Based on what I've seen from my 20 years as a grad student/Ph. D. in mathematics, I'd say that is a fair assumption.

But you could say similar stuff about men too; you don't see too many GQ types at a math conference.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you confirming the same stereotypes that Dr. Randall is trying to eliminate?

7:49 PM  
Blogger Harriet said...

Yes and no. I am admitting that Dr. Randall's example has gotten me to admit that I subscribed to that stereotype and that it is time for me to let it go.

Please don't confuse my admitting to feeling this way with approval. This is more of a "hey, I was wrong about this" kind of thing.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Counter Statsfree hit counter
frontline plus